From England to Ecuador and beyond

From England to Ecuador and beyond

Sunday 8 June 2014

Yosemite - day 16

Written Saturday 7 June 

Sunburnt, shattered and torn to shreds by mosquitos and annoying little midgey things: on the outside I may not be looking my best but on the inside I'm smiling, absolutely LOVE Yosemite and all the amazing sights it has to offer. There's even a chapel where people can get married!

Today was a free day woohoo! Voluntarily opted for a 5 mile walk to see Vernal Falls...at 6.30am I wasn't thinking straight and it didn't really twig that it was all going to be uphill until we were standing at the bottom. It went well - my hip hurt on the way up (yes I have turned into an 80 year old woman overnight), my stomach absolutely killed once we got to the top (haven't been on top form the past 2 days) & my shins threatened with splints on the way down. Was it worth it? 



YuhHUH! It was such a hard trek but the views at the top were incredible and we all felt v proud of ourselves. Saw a stellar's jay as well which was cool - limited wildlife round here compared to Galapagos & the Pantanal so I'm taking what I can get! Plus they have mohawks...couldn't resist!


Post hike beach time was definitely well earned. Had no idea Yosemite even had beaches but there are a couple along the rivers. The one we made a beeline for (Housekeeping Camp) was STUNNING, cannot stress enough how good the views are - and how clear the water is. Paddled in the glacier melt and had a chill before heading back to the van to get driven to Glacier Point, where you can look 3,214ft down into Yosemite Valley.


We wanted to go to Mirror Lake as well but the rangers said it had dried up - hardly surprising considering the heat, it's intense! Almost hoping for foggy conditions in San Fran tomorrow, feeling like I need a break from the sun - never thought I'd say such a thing but 2 weeks of 30-40 degree heat is taking its toll! Will definitely regret saying this when I get back to England and it's raining... The other reason I'm excited to move on is because we get to stay in a hostel - proper beds YAY. I have (for the most part) enjoyed camping but I'm also quite glad we only have 3 more nights left in a tent. Bring it on - and a night out too please! Crunk times ahoy!